Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's day!


How did you tell your sweetie that you loved her/him? We've been looking to upgrade Laura's defensive capabilities for a while now, and being the romantic guy I am, I figured what better way to tell my wife how much I love her then with firepower? I also snaked some sweethearts from Peaches while I was at it.

Technical details: 5 shot, .38 special, 2 inch barrel, hammerless (obviously), less than $400. It's a Taurus M85. They had a couple in .357 mag, but Laura didn't like the humpback from the concealed hammer on them. They had a couple of matte stainless, but she liked the black better (that's why I love her!). For one particular reader, they did have a couple of guns with....uggggh...pink grips. You can thank me later. I take cash and/or ammo as payment.

We chose the revolver after a couple of failed attempts at loading Glock magazines, working the slide on a Glock, and a cut thumb after aforementioned slide mishap. This is much lighter than my .40, but the trigger pull is way heavier. You can't beat a revolver for reliability. If at first you don't get a bang, pull the trigger again. They're low maintenence, easy to point and fairly low recoil. Especially since she's not shooting magnum rounds out of it. I'll be taking it to work to put some rounds through it to break it in a bit, and find out how it shoots.

Next on the to-do list: a holster of some kind, and the CWP class. And some good hollowpoint rounds. And maybe a laser grip add-on. And a commander-frame .45 for me. And an M-4 varient.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

John, you're hilarious! There's nothing wrong with pink - at least I want a gun! right?

My man would've bought me a gun if I can find one I like. I think the revolvers look so silly. I want a cool lookin' one - a tough guy one (with pink on it) - is that possible!?!?!

El Rakeman said...

It's really not enough to want to buy one, you have to make the commitment to protect yourself and your family. You'll probably hear a lot about that in your class. Google "Sheep and Sheepdogs" and read that. Nevermind, I found it:
http://www.gleamingedge.com/mirrors/onsheepwolvesandsheepdogs.html

It doesn't specifically apply to most people, but everyone can take something from it and apply it to themselves.
Remember, an unloaded gun is just a rock.

You can get any color gun you want, as long as you can load it, clean it, operate it and shoot it. And you only have to shoot it fairly well. Don't worry about being Annie Oakley, be the best shooter YOU can be.